Friday 30 December 2011

Best Restaurants Around the World 2011

To me Chinese is one of the best cuisines in the world.  However I understand that food is a personal choice.  Some, although not many, can live on crisps and toast only.  Yes they exist!  I have seen them on Discovery channel.  To them they are fed to survive rather than to a bigger extent that it is also something to enjoy.  Food plays an important part in Hongkie's life, 42.3% of Hong Kong people travel in search of good food.  One of my favourite local weekly travel magazines have recently invited some influential foodies to select their best restaurants around the world and I would like to share with my readers which one I would love to try:

  1. Tickets - Barcelona - Spain 
    One of my holiday destinations in 2012 is Spain.  What I remember about Spain is their delicious tapas bars, the stylish Madridians, Gaudi and their way of living.  So I am definitely tempting to try this tapas bar. 

    The godfather of molecular gastronomy and one of the best chefs in the world, Ferran Adrià, announced the closing of his 3-Michelin star restaurant el Bulli few months ago.  It has disappointed many gourmet eaters especially those who had been waiting for a year to try to get a table.  But fret not, he has opened a more 'down-market' molecular tapas bar - Tickets in Barcelona and the head chef is his brother Albert.  If you want to book a table, you only need to wait for three months.

    Try The Oysters with its Pearl, The Olives, Jamon de toro

  2. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal - London - UK
    Blumenthal's food is impressive and fun but too much of a trouble to try it yourself - watch his TV series Heston's Feasts and you will know what I mean.  It's just not something you will do at home.  For this reason, I would love to visit one of his restaurants.  Dinner is nested in Mandarin Oriental Hotel in London.  It has earned its first Michelin-star just after ten months it has opened its doors.  I do like the thrill of molecular food and besides Adrià, nobody else does better than Blumenthal.  BUT I think the attraction of this recently opened restaurant is its 'gentrified' traditional British menu.

    Try Meat Fruit, Mandarin, Chicken Liver Parfait and Grilled Bread and Roast Scallop, Cucumber Ketchup and Borage

  3. Noma - Copenhagen - Denmark
    Noma has been voted the world's No.1 restaurant by the reputable British gourmet magazine - Restaurant.  I have never been to Scandinavia nor tried their cuisine but now I have noted this restaurant down, I have a good reason to make a trip there in the future.

  4. El Celler De Can Roca - Girona - Spain
    Roca is another successful molecular gastronomy restaurant situated in the outskirts of Barcelona.  Currently holding a 3-Michelin star, their food is theatrical.  I like it that you have only got two menus to choose from - either the Tasting Menu or the Feast Menu.  The average waiting time for a table is six months so I guess if I do decide to go there in 2012, I should book now. 

    Try Caramelized Olive Tree, Campari Bombon

  5. 三田牛 飛苑 - Kobe - Japan
    Okay by now I am kind of wanting some 'normal food'.  Hien does not have any Michelin star but nothing beats a nice piece of char-grilled marbled Kobe beef steak.  Slightly different to molecular gastronomy, the chef here focuses on simple preparation of quality ingredients.  Sometimes less is more, I will be very happy just having this beef with a bowl of plain rice.

    Address: 神戸市兵庫区松原通1-1-69. Tel: 0786816529 

  6. 吉士酒家 - Shanghai - China
    Xin Ji Xhi group has a few branches in Shanghai and the one on Tian Ping Road is their oldest branch.  I have been to the one in Xi Tian Di and personally much prefer the decoration and atmosphere there.  I was taken there for my birthday and the food was absolutely scrumptious.  It is Shanghaiese so expect something perhaps greasier with strong flavour.  This is definitely on my list if I ever travel to Shanghai again.

    Address: No.41 Tian Ping Road. Tel: 21-62829260

  7. The Press Club - Melbourne - Australia
    Geroge Calombaris is one of the presenters of Master Chef Australia and he's also one of the top 40 chefs in the world.  He owns five restaurants in Australia and one of them is The Press Club which is a Greek restaurant.  Greek food isn't that popular in Hong Kong.  I guess there just isn't much demand for it here.  I always enjoy the food when I am in Australia because they have rich fresh produce which makes a huge difference for a dish.  Much of the western ingredients available in Hong Kong are imported and I remember the first time I could really taste a tomato was when I was in Perth. 

    I enjoyed my 2-day visit in Melbourne when I visited a few years back so next time when I am in town, The Press Club will definitely be one of my dining choices.  Their food looks really appertising and it will be indulging to try their 4-course set.

    Try Larisa "Kotopoulo" slow-cooked chicken breast, Naoussa Arni-Lamb

  8. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand
    I would have enjoyed Thai food much more if it's not that spicy.  I have visited many famous local Thai restaurants and just couldn't finish a meal without drinking ten gallons of water because of too much hot spice!  I always wanted to visit Nahm during my visits to Bangkok but never got around to it.  The chef of Nahm actually comes from Australia.  So I think he will go easy with the spice, this is one top of my list when I visit Bangkok next.

    Try Fresh crabs cooked with turmeric and coconut sauce





No comments:

Post a Comment